Category Archives: Meetings

June 2019 Board Minutes

FRLC Board Meeting Minutes

Thursday, June 6, 2019

Present: Tom, Bohdan, Melanie & Ed. Tom opened in prayer.

Approval of Minutes from Previous Meeting Received.

Treasurer’s report Received by email. Balance on May 31 is $1255.83. Ed’s stipend is now being taken from the correct account. We have not received any donations from the membership other than our two regular givers. Perhaps we need to send out a newsletter soon.

Coordinator’s report He thanked the board members for the presentation at the TLC council meeting. It was helpful. The TLC pastoral leadership proposal passed, authorizing Ed to spend 25% of his time on conference as long as we contribute to the church. He is working with clergy coach regarding the challenges of working on the conference.

He is in the process of reworking the sponsorship portion of the conference, including prices and promotional pieces. We will be emphasizing how this will benefit the sponsors, reaching a different audience who need to know about your resource. He is finalizing a six page “media kit” for the media and sponsors and will make personal contact with potential sponsors. Once the media kit is done, it will be sent to the local radio and tv stations and newspapers. He is in contact with an NPR reporter regarding a story on the conference. segment.

Information has been shared at many Synod Assemblies, including all the Minnesota synods, Wisconsin, South Dakota, and Montana. Board members can help by sharing information at their own Assembly. We now have a communication link to all the Synods, Bishops and staff. We are sending out e-blasts on early registration and posting on Facebook. He also created a flyer targeted to the Episcopalians, adding the Episcopal logo and information about their pre-conference.

We are finalizing the workshops. We have 20 potential workshops and 10 rooms. Some will only be offered once.

We have several new strategies for generating financial support this year. One of the volunteers is contacting local businesses regarding small dollar grants. An email went out to last year’s attendees requesting financial support. We already received a check for $2,000 from that effort. Ed is also working with a stewardship person regarding wills & estate giving strategizing on how to get major gifts to support this ministry. There is a proposal to produce Ed’s book as an audio book and donate the proceeds to the conference. Ed is also meeting with a website developer regarding an Addiction and Faith membership site where we could offer access to resources for congregations, clergy, synods etc for $10/month. This might include a podcast with workshop leaders. This could generate a continuous income.

 

Old Business:

FRLC Board members meeting with Transfiguration: discussed.

Budget We need a memorandum of agreement with TLC outlining the responsibilities of the Fellowship and the congregation. Bohdan will work on it and send a draft to Ed for review.

Board development and building the team tabled

 

New Business:

FRLC Retreat at Addiction & Faith Conference will be at the same time as last year. Members are welcome to come on Thursday and help with Conference, with the retreat beginning with dinner. Ed will include this in information to the FRLC mailing list and we will put it on the website. We discussed having a $10 registration fee for the retreat. Melanie will ask Roger and Joel if they would like to help plan the FRLC retreat. Ed will send a detailed schedule for this group to work with. It can be adjusted if necessary. The board of the REMC group (10-12 people) during this time. We should include them in what we do.

            Next meeting date: Thursday, July 18, 2019

            Melanie closed with prayer

 

 

May 2019 Board Minutes

FRLC Board Meeting Minutes

Thursday, May 2, 2019

1:00 pm MDT/2:00 pm CDT/12:00 pm PDT/3:00 pm EDT

 

            Present: Bohdan, Ed, Melanie, Arthur, Kirk. Beth, Tom, Rob & Joel were excused.

 

Check In & Prayer: Melanie opened with prayer.

Approval of Minutes from Meeting Kirk moved, Arthur seconded to approve the minutes. They were approved.

 

Treasurer’s report The report was received by email. The balance is $1230.83. The bookkeeper’s husband is doing the taxes for us, as they changed significantly in light of the conference.

 

            Coordinator’s report There is $6227 in the conference account. We have received 4 direct registrations, and 24 registrations total. Registrants are from 11 states, more than half are clergy, and13 are first time attendees. The budget for the Conference is $162,000, which means we will need grants and congregational support this year. The coordinator went to four meetings to promote the conference. We will have a table with logo, brochures and flyers at 8 synods this year. He is working on ads for the Living Lutheran, the Phoenix Spirit, an email blast through the Christian Century list and plans to do publicity through the Episcopal church channels also.

The taxes are done and reviewed. Last year’s total revenue was $94,599. There was $5,699 in the account following the Conference. Income from registrations and additional funding are essential in order to cover the costs for our speakers, promotional costs, and administrative costs.

                       

Old Business:

 

FRLC Board members meeting with Transfiguration: Melanie & Tom will be in Minneapolis May 13-17. Tuesday night, May 14 is the regular TLC Church Council meeting. Dinner is served at 6:00 and the meeting is from 6:30-8:00 pm. Melanie will follow up with Tom and plan transportation. Bohdan will participate by video call. Is anyone else interested in joining by video? Melanie will check with Roger and Joel about being on the call.

Budget The Coordinator will prepare a draft budget for action next month.

 

New Business:

Board development and building the team – At this time, it is an open question whether the Conference will eventually become its own 501c3 non-profit organization.

All Board members are encouraged to print and distribute flyers and the “how your congregation can help” hand out at their Synod Assemblies and other church meetings. Please ask your Synod to include the Conference information in their newsletters, websites, etc. The links for these documents are here:

 

Flyer: https://www.addictionandfaithconference.com/uploads/1/1/1/5/11159635/afc_flyer_2019.pdf

 

 

“how your congregation can help”: https://www.addictionandfaithconference.com/uploads/1/1/1/5/11159635/congregational_support_sheet__003_.pdf

 

Next meeting: Thursday, June 6, 2019

1:00 pm MDT/2:00 pm CDT/12:00 pm PDT/3:00 pm EDT

Call in number: 712-832-8330 Access code: 5901674#

 

 

 

 

March 7, 2019 Board Minutes

Present: Arthur, Bohdan, Melanie, Tom, Ed

 

Check-in and opening prayer: Melanie

 

Minutes: The minutes from February were received.

 

Treasurer’s Report: Discussion on the role of a bookkeeper vs. the role of the treasurer. The chair will contact a board member regarding taking on the role of treasurer with a local bookkeeper. The current balances are: FRLC $1835.53, Conference $2037.80. We received a donation from Portico for support of the Conference.

 

Coordinator’s Report: The Conference website is done. There are eleven people registered for the Conference. The Episcopal church group is fully on board. Promotional events are lined up for June, including six Synod Assemblies. A planned promotion at a conference in Washington DC was postponed. We may be reimbursed expenditures. We are in touch with all the Minneapolis area conferences and are planning to attend meetings of three of them. We were represented at a faith community nurse gathering in St. Cloud, also at the Parish Nurse gathering and an LCMS event.

The flyers are done—there are two sizes. The flyer can be downloaded and printed at: https://www.addictionandfaithconference.com/uploads/1/1/1/5/11159635/afc_flyer_2019.pdf

Please print some flyers and take them wherever you go.

 

There is also a resource to print and take to your congregation on how they can support this event: https://www.addictionandfaithconference.com/uploads/1/1/1/5/11159635/congregational_support_options.pdf Please print and share this with your congregation.

 

The FRLC page is in the process of being updated to reflect the current information and to add a PayPal button.

 

How you can support the Conference:

1) Register now directly by contacting Louise at: glolro@comcast.net Doing so will save you some money and help us with conference expenses but you will need to pay with a check. We don’t see the money paid through online credit card registrations (through Eventbrite) until after the conference.

            2) Print flyers and make a pitch to your colleagues to attend the Conference. Contact your Synod and try to get information on your Synod website, including a link to the Conference website: https://www.addictionandfaithconference.com/ Offer them the opportunity to support this ministry by sponsoring scholarships.

            3) Contact your local Thrivent representative, ask them to sponsor the Conference and let them know why this is an important ministry for them to support. This is the only option for receiving support through the Thrivent organization.

            4) Help us identify potential Conference sponsors—treatment centers etc. There are a variety of levels of sponsorship available. Wendy will contact them if we give her the leads. Information is available here: https://www.addictionandfaithconference.com/advertise.html

 

We are working on narrowing the list of breakout sessions and coordinating the schedule with the Episcopalians. They have resources to share.

 

New business:

 

Bohdan will follow up with the inactive board members.

 

Discussion of how board members might be available to provide information and answer questions about the FRLC in the local area. The chair is available by video call as needed or will be in Minneapolis on June 22. The secretary and another board member will be in there May 13-17. All are willing to a meeting if it would be helpful.

 

Tom closed the meeting with prayer.

 

Next regular Board meeting: Thursday, April 4, 2019.

February 2019 Board Minutes

FRLC Board Meeting Minutes

Thursday, February 7, 2019

1:00 pm MDT/2:00 pm CDT/12:00 pm PDT/3:00 pm EDT

 

Present: Ed, Bohdan, Tom, Melanie, Beth, Arthur

 

Check-in happened. Tom opened in prayer.

 

Minutes: January’s minutes were received.

 

Treasurer’s Report: The person who is handling the Conference account agreed to handle the FRLC account. There is $1,693.28 in the Conference account and $3,605.83 in the FRLC account. There will an adjustment to both accounts as the coordinator’s stipend was taken from wrong account. In the past, when a non-FRLC member served as treasurer, the Board received a written monthly report on the finances. We will ask her to do the same and request that it be submitted prior to the Board meeting.

 

Coordinator’s Report: We have a new agent for the FRLC to maintain our non-profit status, replacing the former agent who died last year. Roger contacted a member in that state, Kathy B., who agreed to take it on.

He is working with a CPA in his congregation to work on the FRLC taxes, which will be different this year because of the Conference.

The Conference website is up to date as is the FaceBook page and Eventbrite registration. Registration opened February 4. We have sold four tickets in the last three days. Board members are encouraged to register as early as possible to assist in cash flow. Board members are also asked to consider organizing a group from your congregation, to promote the Conference in your area and to ask your church to consider funding scholarships is they can’t send a group. Melanie reported that she and Rob are discussing a booth at the Montana Synod Assembly. If you have ideas for potential sponsoring organizations, please let Ed know. Our fundraiser can follow up with them. There will be a flyer promoting sponsorships directed for treatment centers and other recovery related businesses and a different one for churches. The cost of sponsorship and display space will be increased this year. Ed is excited about the speakers and hotel space. We have contracted with the hotel for 300 participants and have the capacity to expand up to 500 if needed.

He met with several people from the Recovery Ministries of the Episcopal Church. They are working with us on the Addiction and Faith Conference instead of doing their own annual gathering. They typically have 100 people attend their event. They are going to publicize the Addiction and Faith Conference within their church body and work on sponsorships for the event. They discussed working with both denominations (Episcopal & ELCA) to fund this ministry. They are great to work with and very responsive. Their organization is for both clergy and laity but they have focused primarily on clergy at their event, which has typically ended Saturday night so the priests could return to their churches for Sunday morning worship. Both organizations have focused on people in recovery in the past, but since we are reaching out to people who aren’t in recovery Ed is advocating for the schedule as planned. They need to have a liturgical recovery service at the Conference. It is scheduled to be led by the Episcopalians Friday night after the last speaker. They want to arrive on Thursday to do business and to have some workshops on Friday so participants can leave Saturday night. Ed thinks we can accommodate this.

The biggest challenge at the moment is getting the cash in to fund the publicity. There are some events Ed would like to attend to promote the conference but we need to be able to pay for them.

The FRLC webpage can be transferred to Ed at any time. In the meantime Melanie will ask Bea to update the page with this year’s dates and a link to the Conference website.

A question was asked about having the information from last year available on the website. We will link the flyer from last year for those who would like access to that information

The local planning team met once. Ed asked the people who were on it last year about their involvement this time and did not get a lot of response. He will follow up with them. The first meeting was attended mostly by people who are working on things already. The next meeting will be 3:00 pm, Monday, February 18 (President’s Day).

The board expressed appreciation for the efforts of our coordinator and his associate to continue this partnership.

 

New business:

Newsletter: The coordinator will work on getting one ready with a brief summary of the last Conference and flyer about this one.

 

Board Member attendance: As our constitutional definition of a quorum is a majority of the members of the board, it may become problematic having a number of board members who do not participate in the meetings. We will review the requirements stated in the bylaws and discuss this at the March meeting.

 

Ed led the closing prayer.

 

Next regular Board meeting: Thursday, March 7, 2019.

12:00 pm PST/1:00 pm MST/2:00 pm CST/3:00 pm EST

Call in number: 605-475-6333 Access code: 53120#

 

Decembeer 2018 Board Minutes

FRLC Board Meeting Minutes

Thursday, December 6, 2018

12:00 pm MDT/1:00 pm CDT/11:00 am PDT/2:00 pm EDT

 

Present: Ed, Beth, Melanie, Roger

 

Check-in and opening prayer:  Ed opened in prayer.

 

Minutes: The minutes from November were received.

 

Treasurer’s Report: We still need a treasurer. Ed will be talking to candidates this week. Everything for the Conference has been paid, including a $1200 retainer for the next Conference. There is a balance of a little over $3000 after the gift to TLC, which was hugely impactful. There is $3100 in the FRLC account.

 

Coordinator’s Report: Work continues on the next Conference. Ed has an outline of next year’s program. It will be similar with small variations. George Valent is confirmed as a speaker. He led a longitudinal study on impact of 12 steps and happiness, was recommended by Omar and is affordable.  Discussion of potential speakers continued. By the end of this meeting, we were thinking it might be a good idea to have two keynoters and leave more time Saturday afternoon for workshops and recovery meetings. The strength of one would be on the topic of addiction and secondarily on the faith aspect and the other would have expertise in theology and secondarily on recovery in the church. It was suggested that we put the keynoters in touch with each other in advance so they can be aware of where each other is going.

 

Ed has also been in contact with Amy Klobuchar, the senior United States Senator from Minnesota, who has been active in combatting the opioid epidemic.

 

There is an ELCA Bishop who is a member of FRLC. Ed would like to invite him to address the Conference.

 

In order to have room at the hotel to expand the Conference we need to hold it a week earlier. Those present are supportive of this. We could have the grand ball room, vendors and breakout sessions all in the same area. This arrangement would allow us to sell single event tickets and single meal tickets, which we were unable to do this year. He would like to move ahead with the hotel and complete the contract before the end of the year.

 

There was a discussion about the number and length of the breakout sessions. Current plans call for ten breakout sessions. There were six this year. Three people were too many presenters for one session. We are considering some compensation for the leaders of these sessions. Last year they not only volunteered; they also paid their own registration fees.

 

It was noted how powerful it was when the speaker in worship shared his story about how church, faith and recovery programs were all necessary for him. We might do want to have something like this in every worship service.

 

A suggestion was made to have 12 step meetings and spiritual practices in the middle of the day as well as at the beginning and end of the day, as there may be people who need a meeting to deal with the content of the day. Most were well attended last year. There may be a variety of “open” meetings for people who are not participating in a recovery group as well as “closed’ meetings, including a meeting for clergy in recovery. The latter might be in the hospitality room.

 

The fees have been set for display exhibitors and the team is working on lining them up. They have also been in contact with the Lilly Foundation regarding grant application for $600,000 to expand conference.

 

Steve Lane of the Episcopal recovery group and Roger have been talking about how to do a mini-version of the Conference in their area. We would like to offer them the opportunity to wrap a clergy event around the Conference and collaborate on some things.  They may also have resources and people that we could coordinate with.

 

This year it looks like the planning process will need to be streamlined, with fewer people, fewer  meetings, and more executive decisions.

 

We would like to update the FRLC website and use it more effectively. We had some problems with changing it last year. Melanie will speak to the person who currently handles it for us, and get back to the Board.

 

The ELCA Disability grant which Melanie spoke about last month is not a good fit for us. She will follow up with her contact at Montana State University and put him in touch with a local person. He has a lot of information on grants but many are not designed for what we are doing.

 

We still need an agent in Illinois. Roger and Ed reviewed name of members who have an address in Illinois and selected a few to contact. Roger will contact Jessie White, Secretary of State of the state of Illinois and find out what is involved in changing agents.

 

New business: none

 

Roger closed the meeting with prayer.

The January meeting will be postponed one week due to holiday plans.

 

Next regular Board meeting: Thursday, January 10, 2019.

12:00 pm MST/1:00 pm CST/11:00 am PST/2:00 pm EST

Call in number: 605-475-6333 Access code: 53120#

November 2018 Board Minutes

FRLC Board Meeting Minutes

Thursday, November 1, 2018

12:00 pm MDT/1:00 pm CDT/11:00 am PDT/2:00 pm EDT

 

Present: Bohdan, Beth, Tom, Melanie. Ed, Roger, Tom & Melanie were on a pre-meeting call as Ed had an opportunity to speak at a college class at St. Cloud on Addiction Ministry. Melanie took notes and shared it as Ed’s report below.

 

Check-in and opening prayer:  Melanie opened in prayer.

 

Minutes: The minutes from September were received.

 

Treasurer’s Report: Beth resigned from the position. Funds have been transferred from the Conference account to the FRLC general fund as authorized at the FRLC Annual Meeting. Automatic payments were set up for Ed’s stipend during Beth’s tenure as treasurer. Moved, seconded and passed to Authorize Ed to seek a member of the local Addiction & Faith Conference planning committee to serve as treasurer for both accounts. The FRLC has had non-members as treasurer before.

 

Coordinator’s Report: We continue to get positive feedback on the Addiction and Faith Conference, including reports from health care professionals that they found it to be very helpful.

 

Plans are beginning to be made for next year, including hotel arrangements and date.

Grant funding is being sought to expand the Conference on a nationwide basis, offering Addiction and Faith Conferences in various locations around the country.

 

There was discussing about the FRLC giving a significant gift from Conference proceeds to thank Transfiguration Lutheran Church for supporting Ed’s work on the Conference. Beth wrote the resolution which passed unanimously. The resolution and funds were given to Transfiguration.

 

There was discussion on speakers for the next Conference.

 

We need to identify a local agent in Illinois. Ed will check with Bishop Patricia Lull regarding the best way to proceed with this.

 

New business: Should we have an FRLC retreat focused on caring for one another and spiritual nurture apart from the Conference? The retreat associated with the Conference was mostly work we needed to do in order to host the conference. Please think about this and be prepared to discuss it at our next meeting.

 

Tom closed the meeting with prayer.

 

Next regular Board meeting: Thursday, December 6.

12:00 pm MST/1:00 pm CST/11:00 am PST/2:00 pm EST

Call in number: 605-475-6333, Access code: 53120#

September 2018 FRLC Board Minutes

Thursday, September 6, 2018

Seven members were present. Check-in and opening prayer were held.

 Minutes: The minutes from July and August were received.

 

Treasurer’s Report: We had the ordinary expenses and income. The current balance is $235.83, which is less than the $300 monthly stipend. There are a number of changes happening.  The account at Wells Fargo has been closed and the funds moved to the Star Credit Union. Brian would like to transition out of his role as treasurer. He has served in that capacity for ten years. He is willing to remain on the board. He is willing to be flexible so there can be a smooth transition. Bohdan expressed appreciation for his service and the board expressed thanks for his faithful work, including writing the annual appeal letters. The Board needs to discuss maintaining our general account and ways to manage it. There has been discussion of taking an offering for the FRLC general fund at the closing of the Conference. Brian will participate in the FRLC Annual Meeting in person or by phone. The meeting is scheduled for 1:00 pm Sunday, September 30, following the Conference. There will be opportunity to elect new treasurer at that point and have a smooth handoff.

 

Coordinator’s Report: The FRLC is doing what it normally does. We have more members attending the conference than we’ve had at a retreat in a long time. About twenty FRLC members are registered. Ed noted that we have been low on funds before and that people have responded when we share the need. We haven’t asked for funds for the Fellowship in a while as the focus has been on undergirding the Conference. The Conference is raising our profile in the church relative to where we’ve been before.

 

The Conference is snow-balling. It’s a lot of work and we have a lot of great people stepping up to it. Others are taking care of the details Ed would never have thought of. God is watching over us! Our registrations are nearly full–we have capacity for 200. There are only 5 or 6 spots left. The rooms reserved for the Conference are all taken. We have over 135 room nights booked and have more than fulfilled our hotel contract, which obligated us to pay for unsold rooms if we did not meet the minimum. The speakers have all been contacted and are all confirmed. It looks like we will break even and maybe even come out a little bit ahead financially. The FRLC retreat will begin Thursday, tentative plans for dinner at 5:30 pm. Roger and Melanie have developed a draft schedule for the retreat which will be sent out be email once it is finalized. They had some questions, which Ed will respond to soon.

 

There will be a work party at Transfiguration all day Thursday before the Conference preparing materials for the participants.  All are welcome—Ed offered to provide rides (or arrange for them) from the airport as needed. There is an online app called “Sched” for conference information, which can be downloaded now. An email went out to people who are registered for the Conference but it is easy to miss in the inbox. Ed is still working on it and will send it out a few more times before the Conference. It would be helpful for us to try it out and give Ed feedback.

 

He is developing a list of people who will be there to volunteer at the Conference. He will assign tasks to people who are attending, and then answer questions when we arrive. People can trade tasks at that time if necessary.

 

Prayers are requested for Ed in these final weeks of preparing for the Conference.

 

If anyone wants to go off the board, it would be helpful to know between now and the Conference so we could be prepared for elections at the Annual Meeting.

 

Tom closed the meeting with prayer.

 

We will discuss our next meeting date at the Annual Meeting. It will likely be in November.

 

 

FRLC Board Meeting Minutes Thursday, July 5, 2018

Check In & Prayer: Brian, Bohdan, Melanie, Tom, Ed called in later. Melanie opened with prayer.

 

Minutes from the May Meeting were approved as submitted.

 

Treasurer’s report: Account totals and detail will be coming by email. Our checking account balance today is $1,192.12. No extraordinary income or expenses. He caught up on the stipend for Coordinator with double payment this month.

He received a letter from Wells Fargo requesting additional documentation of non-profit status, needed within 30 days. Some of the requests are of documents we are not familiar with. Brian and Ed recommend closing this account and opening an account at the credit union we are using for the Conference. Brian is considering resigning as treasurer and has agreed to serve through the Annual Meeting this fall. Brian will pursue this with Ed with the support of the Executive Committee (officers).

 

Addiction and Faith Conference: Melanie shared some information from the minutes of the Addiction and Faith Conference planning meeting and Ed called in midstream. The current anticipated financial shortfall is about $10,000 but we have a grant application with the Minneapolis Synod which may cover it plus a new connection with a professional fundraiser (who is in recovery) who had ideas on monetizing the event and anticipate being able to cover that. Any money over expenses will be used for future events. We have over 100 registrations at present and 13 more on the way, have an ad in the latest Living Lutheran and are adjusting plans to prepare for up to 200 people attending the event.  We’ve been asked about having tickets for individual sessions of the conference, such as Nadia’s talk. We have been declining those requests as we need the funding from full ticket “sales” to pay for expenses. If we don’t sell out, we may consider opening it up to take registrations for individual sessions. We are also considering selling access to view sessions by streaming. Ed is looking into what would be needed to videotape the talks to develop a resource for addiction ministry in the ELCA. God is looking out for us –we have a great planning team and various resource people are appearing as needed.

 

FRLC meeting schedule at the Conference: The FRLC specific events begin with dinner Thursday, followed by a Conference update and 12 step meeting Thursday evening. Friday morning would have details on the Conference and training for volunteering at Conference.  There may be a couple hours of free time until registration starts, then we would be involved in the Conference. The Conference concludes with worship at noon Sunday, the Fellowship will meet to debrief, vision the future and hold the Annual Meeting Sunday afternoon and evening. We may meet Monday morning but will be done by noon for sure. Melanie mentioned that Luther Seminary will be holding a workshop on “The Craft of Preaching” through Working Preacher which begins at 1:00 pm Monday and runs through Wednesday. This would be an opportunity for a second continuing education event on the same plane ticket. Melanie will write up an article and Ed will send it out by enews.

 

Visioning: Ed has requested the board think about the future of the FRLC and the Conference.  There are conversations about doing another Conference next year and also about working to be a resource for Recovery Ministry for the ELCA. Ed will be asking the fundraiser about the possibility of raising additional funding to support a person to be paid do this work, either in conjunction with Ed’s present ministry if the congregation decides to realign their staffing or to seek another call that would allow him to do it. Ed will bring a specific proposal on this as it develops. Those on the call are supportive of these ideas.

 

Tom closed the meeting in prayer.

 

Next meeting date: Thursday August 9, 12:00 pm MDT/1:00 pm CDT/11:00 pm PDT/2:00 pm EDT. This is the second Thursday of the month and was changed to allow our Coordinator to participate.

 

 

 

 

 

FRLC Board Minutes Thursday, May 24, 2018

Check In & Prayer: Anonymous, Arthur, Bohdan, Ed, Melanie, Brian were present. Anonymous opened with prayer.

Minutes from the January Meeting were approved.

Treasurer’s report:  Detail will be sent by email. Balance is roughly $2300 in checking account. The bills are paid, no extraordinary expenses. Newsletter bill is paid. Question about how to handle the retreat account.

Coordinator’s report: The Conference planning committee has been very active. There is a committee member who is a CPA and is in recovery who volunteered to handle conference finances. They opened an account at a bank near Ed’s church under the auspices of the FRLC, using the FRLC EIN number. Ed and Arthur are the signers on the account, although Ed cannot write checks to himself. The CPA is overseeing it and will assist in the tax reporting. It was moved to approve this arrangement for the conference and for Brian to close the additional account he began for this purpose. Brian will send the money designated for the conference to Ed to deposit in this account. The recent mailing was for the conference and was paid for out of the general funds. Brian will take that amount out of the conference donations and send the balance to Ed to be deposited in the conference account. Past retreats have been funded by participants, so it makes sense to keep these funds separate. The motion was approved.

We have about $20,000 on hand for the conference so far. There was a mailing to the FRLC to come a day early, stay a day late and help facilitate the conference, also encouragement to give financial support to the conference.  We received a gift from a church for $500 to help sponsor the conference almost immediately. Roger is making personal calls to about 40 FRLC members to follow up on the letter.

We spent $10,000 on promotion, including a full page ad in the Phoenix Spirit https://thephoenixspirit.com/  for June/July, a two month contract with Living Lutheran (July & August) for half page ads and possibly an article to go with them, and an e-blast to the Christian Century email list that went out today. The Minneapolis area Synod is working with Ed on an article, Ed and Gretchen E. are working on an article for Caring Connections, targeting Lutheran Chaplains and others. We wrote grant applications to Thrivent ($5,000) and Minneapolis Synod for $20,000. Ed has filmed two promotional videos which are being shared on FaceBook and other places. The planning committee has been attending many church and recovery events giving presentations and hosting display tables.

We have received a grant for 10 scholarships, primarily for parish nurses, and are working on guidelines for the scholarships. We are encouraging people to ask their church to help sponsor them also.

There is a volunteer working with the conference FaceBook page, and another volunteer working with the hotel and utilization of space. We have over 40 registrations at present. It is amazing, exciting, and we are really feeling the Spirit!

The article in the Living Lutheran on the opioid crisis was noted.

When we get together in the fall, come with ideas on next steps for the FRLC. Is it a new direction or a one-time thing? Please start thinking about our vision for the Fellowship. Could this become an annual event? Is that too much? Do we want to think about doing it regionally? Do we want to approach the ELCA about a position to develop recovery ministry in the ELCA?

Arthur shared his experience promoting the conference at his church. Their Addictions Awareness team advocated for it and the congregation voted to fund some scholarships. It was interested to hear the discussion and to have regular church members discuss it and promote it. Lay people in recovery will give us a much broader reach. This experience could be replicated in other churches—encourage churches to send a couple lay leaders as well as the pastor. A team can have a much larger impact. He suggested a “how to promote this in your congregation” link on our website. We are figuring it out as we go.

Ed will send a detailed list of grants and contributions to the board along with our “break even” number (the number of registrations needed to pay our expenses).

We are appreciative of the good work Ed, Arthur and the planning committee are doing. 

Old Business: September retreat: see above.

New Business:  Next meeting date: Thursday July 5, 12:00 pm MDT/1:00 pm CDT/11:00 pm PDT/2:00 pm EDT