July 2017 Board Minutes

Present: Roger, Bohdan, Brian, Kirk, Ed

Everyone checked in. Roger opened the meeting with prayer.

 

Minutes from May & June Meetings were approved.

 

Treasurer’s report: Not a lot to report. The email with the detailed report will be sent soon. There were no out of the ordinary income or expenses. The current balance is $1163.62.

PayPal button on Website – Brian looked at a few sites but hadn’t made progress. He will set up a PayPal account as a non-profit and get the information to Bea. Kirk can help after his vacation is over at the end of July.

 

Coordinator’s report: He has mostly been focusing on the 2018 retreat. The planning group has been meeting weekly. Roger is on it from the board. Ed sent the contract with hotel. Some of us did not get it, so he will resend it to Bohdan & Melanie. Please review it asap—it will be discussed at the meeting tomorrow. Three key note speakers have contracts, some have been paid a deposit. The retreat website is ready to launch. It will allow for registration online. He is getting event insurance from Church Mutual to cover any liability. The bishops of the Minneapolis & St Paul Synods are in support of the retreat. The planning group is working on the workshop plans. Publicity will begin soon. We will have a newsletter next month that will have the information on the retreat. Ed will let us know when we can look at the website and give feedback before it goes out to the public. It would be helpful if a couple of us could register also to test it before it goes out to the public. There will be a reduced rate for “early bird” registration. All of the board members are asked to get ten people to register. Request that we all think and pray about who to invite to the retreat and get ten people. The focus of the retreat is broader than an AA event, including how we might respond to the opiate crisis and tools for recovery ministry for churches. We would like to get CEU’s for health care professionals if we can find someone who can help us do it.

                       

Old Business:

Newsletter: It brings in income but covers the cost not much else. The Coordinator suggested doing an appeal for more significant gifts of a couple hundred dollars. We concluded that the appeal could go in the next issue with the publicity about the retreat and ask for support that we might continue to do the kind of work that is leading to the retreat. We could announce the PayPal option in the newsletter. There will be a link on our website to retreat site and an invitation to support the FRLC. Ed is thinking that the person who is doing the retreat website might be willing to take on the one for the FRLC later.

 

New Business:

Expenses for ELCA Rostered Leaders Gathering: Dave C. is attending. Ed asked him to make a specific request for financial support which has not been received. Melanie will email him with information about our finances and let him know we would consider a specific request if received by the August board meeting.

 

New schedule for the Thursday Meetings: Melanie is working on it. It will be complete by

the end of July.

 

Next meeting: August 2, 2017 2:00 pm MDT/2 pm CDT/1:00 pm PDT/3:00 pm EDT 12:00 pm

June Board Minutes

FRLC Board Minutes

June 8, 2017

 

Present: Kirk, Arthur, Joel, Ed, Tom, Bohdan, Melanie

Everyone checked in. The meeting opened with prayer.

The treasurers report was approved. The balance is $1301.36

The minutes from the wrong year were sent by email. The correct minutes will be sent.

Publicity Director’s Report: 2018 retreat: Hazelden decided not to be a cosponsor, although several people on their staff are very enthusiastic about it. Eyglo continues to work with Ed on the planning. Anne Wilson Schaef is interested in being a keynote speaker.

Old Business:

Board roster: Melanie still needs mailing addresses for Joel and Roger to complete it.  Joel sent an email with his information.

ELCA Rostered Leaders Gathering in Atlanta: Dave Connors took the initiative to request that the FRLC be one of the “affinity groups” at this meeting. Last month, Ed and Melanie authorized him to proceed with this and today’s group concurred. We discussed resources he might need: FRLC brochures, copies of our book, information about the 2018 retreat. We have copies of the book on hand and can provide retreat information. Melanie will follow up with Dave, encouraging him to contact Ed for those supplies. Tom offered to make a donation to cover the cost of the books.

PayPal button on website: Brian was going to research it. We will come back to this when Brian is on a call.

2018 Retreat: What is needed from the board is to get the publicity out to your synods, networks, and on social media once it is ready to go. Tom suggested getting the publicity to Minnesota Recovery Connection. We need to find another sponsor/partner in place of Hazelden. Ed has a feeler out to Caron, which is like Hazelden on the East Coast. It would be good to have a treatment center as a sponsor. We don’t have a confirmation on William Moyers’ participation yet. Thrivent was suggested as a possible partner. We haven’t gotten a commitment from Minneapolis/St Paul Synods yet. We don’t think that will be a problem but Ed would like to have another major sponsor lined up before asking them. The local planning team is meeting tomorrow. There is a good team of local folks working with Ed, who is doing a great job at keeping it moving. The dates are April 13-15, 2018 and it is at the DoubleTree Inn in Bloomington, MN.

New Business: It was suggested that we resend the 7th tradition format to the people who chair the Thursday meetings. Melanie will send it with a reminder when she does the next meeting schedule.

The next meeting will be July 12 at the usual time, due to conflicts on the regular date.

May 2017 Board Minutes

FRLC Board Meeting Minutes

Wednesday, May 10, 2017

2:00 pm MDT/3 pm CDT/1:00 pm PDT/4:00 pm EDT

 

Ed and Melanie were the only ones on the call, so we talked and I took notes but it wasn’t really an official meeting.

 

We agreed that Dave C. could represent us at the ELCA Rostered Leaders Gathering in Atlanta. He has gotten the ok to have an FRLC “Affinity Group” at the event. He was not sure if he would be able to go. I let him know he had our “seal of approval” and asked that he let me know whether he is going or not. If anyone else is interested in representing us there (we have no funds to support you in this), please let me know.

 

We discussed the 2018 lay retreat. We received confirmation of the Memorandum of Agreement from Nadia Bolz-Weber’s agent:

 

Melanie:

We have received your contract. You are officially on Nadia’s schedule for April 13-14, 2018! Please find her Bio and photo attached for any of your marketing efforts.

Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns.

Sincerely, Lisa

 

These dates are confirmed for the Double Tree Inn in Bloomington, MN. There is a free airport shuttle.

 

Nadia will be speaking Friday evening and Saturday morning. Other speakers include Don Shelby, a local newscaster in recovery, and William C. Moyers of Hazelden.

 

Ed and Arthur are meeting with two people at Hazelden tomorrow–the pastor who attended our retreat and their publicity person. They will be discussing vendors, networking and potential workshop leaders at the first meeting and publicity efforts through Hazelden as well as the church at the second. Ed prepared a first draft brochure to help our partners understand what we are doing, which is attached below. Please note that the schedule for the speakers in the brochure is incorrect–Nadia’s time slots are as described above.

 

Joy has the information to access the website to work on publicity also.

 

The local retreat committee will be meeting next week, on May 18.

 

We adjourned our meeting around 2:30 pm Mountain time.

 

Next meeting: June 7, 2017 2:00 pm MDT/2 pm CDT/1:00 pm PDT/3:00 pm EDT 12:00 pm